General waste from your red-lid general waste bin is picked up from the kerbside on a weekly basis (in urban areas) and is transported and processed into landfill.
Acceptable & non-acceptable waste
The following items can be placed in your red-lid general waste bin:
- Soft plastics such as plastic bags, packets, wrappers, bubble and cling wrap
- Food scraps and waste
- Non-recyclable hard plastic household items such as toys, coat hangers, buckets and washing baskets
- Old, damaged clothing, shoes, accessories & linen
- Polystyrene (also called Styrofoam or simply foam)
- Nappies, wipes & feminine hygiene products
- Tissues, paper towel & serviettes
- Crockery and cutlery
- Drinking glasses and other glassware
- Window glass/ mirrors
- Metal household items such as pots and pans, coat hangers and scrap steel
- Waxed paper/ cardboard
- Bagged animal droppings/waste
The following items are not accepted in your red-lid general waste bin as they are hazardous to the environment or waste workers, lead to overweight bins, or result in the loss of valuable resources:
- Gas cylinders and fire extinguishers
- Hazardous liquid wastes such as chemicals, paints and oils
- Household and car batteries
- Explosive, flammable, corrosive, toxic or radioactive wastes
- Fluoro globes and tubes
- Medical waste and syringes
- Building materials
- Soil and rocks
- Electronic waste (E-waste)
- Garden organics
For more information about correctly disposing of the items listed above that are not accepted click here to read about hazardous wastes and their responsible disposal.
Bin presentation and collection
To ensure your bins are emptied, please:
- Place your bin on the kerbside before 6:00am on the day of service
- Avoid obstructions such as parked cars, overhanging branches and poles
- Make sure your bin is not too heavy (no more than 80kg)
- Do not overfill your bins (the lid should close)
- Place your bins 50cm apart, with the lid opening facing the street
Missed services, damaged or stolen bins
If your general waste collection was missed or your bin is damaged, notify the waste collection contractor, JR Richards & Sons, by calling 1800 931 985. The operator will provide an indication of when the bin will be collected or repaired.
If your general waste bin has been stolen, you will need to complete at Statutory Declaration, which you can find by clicking here. Once you have completed the declaration, you will need to contact JR Richards & Sons on the number above to organise a new bin and to submit your statutory declaration.
If your yellow-lid recycling collection was missed or your bin is damaged or stolen, notify Hunter Resource Recovery.
If your green-lid garden organics collection was missed or your bin is damaged or stolen, notify Your Organics Bin.